Thursday, August 16, 2012

Night before Gencon Thoughts

So...I thought what better time to relaunch my blog than to post my thoughts on Gencon the night before Gencon. To me Gencon is my a vacation, job fare and reunion all wrapped up into one, there is nothing like it in the world. With that said Gencon this year feels different I will be running more events of Sovereign Wars this year which is stressful but I am also going into the con without a dedicated game. In the past I have always had a game that I played in tournaments or other events this year I am looking for that killer game that me and my fellow local gamer's can latch onto and play for at least the next year.

The other aspect of Gencon that is odd to me is that fact that I am looking at gaming more and more as a game designer. I am fascinated by by game design and find my self reading ever rule book I can get my hands on. I also like taking to other designers to get some insight on how their games work.

With that all said this here are some of the games I am looking forward to this year

MERCS: MERCS is a small scale sci-fi skirmish games that uses some really nice miniatures and a really solid rule set. I picked this game up a few years ago but it never really took off locally for my group but I am hoping after Gencon that game will pick up. One other plus is Gencon is the "Home" con of the designers as they are based near Indianapolis. Expect to see a further review of the game in the months to come.

Dust Warfare: This is a new game based in the Dust universe that uses the Dust Tactics miniatures. I have been hearing all kinds of crazy things about this game and it sounds awesome. At the very least I will get the book at Gencon just to see what all of the fuss is about.

Malifaux: Another game I picked up a few years ago it kind of fell off in our group but I am really intrigued by the game and I am really looking forward to getting an update on where the game is today.

Freebooter's Fate Amazon Expansion: I picked up Freebooter's Fate game last year and I really like the models and the rules but I have yet to play the game. This year I hope to pick up the expansion and possibly a couple of starter boxes so we can  at the very test out the game. If the game is fun this may turn into a game I run at the con next year.

Of course there is always a new "Hotness" at Gencon and maybe it will be something completely out of left field that some of the fun of the con.

To wrap up I am going to do my best to post images and my thoughts from the con over the next four days. So stay posted to the site to see my Gencon Coverage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Only in on Thursday this year, hope to catch up with you.

--Doug

Powered By Blogger