Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Post Gencon Thoughts

Not that Gencon is over I thought I would give my thoughts on the con. Just like every year the show was a blast and I had a lot of fun seeing a lot of old friends and trying out new games. Overall I would say for me there was nothing brand new that I had to have I did however pick a new game that I said I would never play. I also saw a game I thought would never see the light of day again. I personally had a pretty good . I showing for my own personal game: Sovereign Wars.

Here is a breakdown of Gencon for me.

MERCS: It was good to see the MERCS crew again and check out where the game is heading. It was cool to see all of the starters for the game as well as the new faction. Seeing the game again has got me interested in playing again and I hope to begin work on some terrain that I picked up a while ago but never got around to painting.

Malifaux: I was able to see the new plastic models and they look really good. I also took a look at the new 1.5 rule book which looked very good I however decided to pass on the game for now.

Dust Warfare: Due to the crazy line at the FFG booth early on Saturday I was able to get in a lengthy demo of Dust Warfare in with one of my local friends. Overall I really liked the game, the mechanics are easy to learn and everything works nothing revolutionary but there is enough evolution to make the game interesting and fun. I still want to see another faction for the game though. There are some really cool models coming out including walking transports and a really sick flying wing model. The book is a bit pricey for my taste and some of the characters are a little hard to come by but if the game continues to expand and improve I can see my self getting into the game.
Dark Age: I was utterly shocked at how this game has changed for the better so much so I bought 500pts worth of Dragyri models. I also got the book and the force list book at a very heavy discount. The game has become much more accessible in the latest version and now the point of entry for the game become much easier to deal with allowing me to give the game a chance. I wasn't the only one at least five other locals picked up forces and we hope to put them on the table soon.

The biggest surprise of the Con.

Confrontation: Phoenix Edition: The game that everyone thought was dead is every so slowing coming back to life. They didn't have a book or the new cards but I spoke with the new designers and they are going in a very solid direction and I expect to see the book in a few months. I even picked up some more models for a couple of factions I did not have. Seeing the game coming back helps justify all of the collections I picked up after the game died, I know have pretty much every faction from the game except for a couple and enough figs to build more armies that I care to count. On another positive note I picked up a Ragnarok box that had a limited edition model I have been trying to find for 8 years now.

Overall Gencon 2012 was really good. I do miss participating in tournaments and events hopefully will be participating in a MERCS, Dark Age and hopefully Confrontation:PE.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger